So excited and so nervous to start my second One Room Challenge, under the tutelage of Linda over at Calling It Home. She came up with a way to highlight design bloggers as they complete a room in 6 weeks. You can follow along or link up. It was actually the ORC that got me off my tush and to start writing about my obsession with design. If you recall, I completed Kevie’s bedroom in the fall (if you didn’t see it, you can catch up HERE) and now I have decided to jump in again. I was hoping to show you that I can design other rooms besides kid rooms, but my mom-guilt got the best of me and I’ve decided to do Anna’s room this time up.
But here’s the problem: I adore Anna, she is my FAVORITE (and only) daughter, but she is also the world’s worst client!!! 🙂
We have been “working” on Anna’s room for 2 years. Every fabric and paint color I show her has been shot down. Her walls had about 5 different turquoise swatches all over them…for years. She has definite opinions on what she does not like, not much input on what she does like. The seven year old was way easier!
But I am up to the challenge and in the end I know this collaboration will be wonderful, just like her.
I’m also worried because I had a definite design plan when it came to week 1 of Kevie’s room… (silence)… this time, not so much. I know what I would love to do, now I’ve just got to sell it to my client! Wish me luck.
So here are some pictures of what we’re dealing with, some tentative design plans and some inspiration…it’s a start.
This is the only photo I can find of when we first did Anna’s room shortly after moving here in 2005. I can’t believe I have no pictures of the gray wood paneling before we painted!
So fast forward a couple of years and we’ve moved the furniture around and now live with multiple swatches on our walls…some too blue, too green, too light, too dark.
I can’t believe I’m showing you these! Here’s where we are today. Anna is on a blowup mattress in her brother’s room and I’m trying to wrap my head around decorating a room this color!
Anna finally settled on Benjamin Moore Scuba Green (2046-50). It actually looks like Tiffany blue sometimes, but when you hold any blue up to it it turns green. Good times!
We’ve tossed around many colors that we can put in this room and Anna changes her mind on an hourly basis, but I can tell you that I’m thinking this room needs a lot of white. It’s got 3 windows and 2 doors so plenty of white trim will break up the teal (?).
Here’s what I do know:
– We are painting a beautiful vintage vanity white, which will go in between the two windows to the right.
– Anna wants her bed against the left wall where she has had it for awhile because it opens up the room. That means it’s in front of a non-centered window and that bugs me (hmmm).
– She needs a lot more storage than she currently has and the closet needs to be utilized better.
– Window treatments are driving me up the wall. The one window behind the bed I think I’ve got plans for but the other two windows are not working for me either because one has a built-in radiator/dresser that we have to keep for the time being (I would love to rip it out).
– Anna wants to get rid of the carpet. I tend to agree but I forget the condition of the hardwood (and I have no pictures!!!)
– There is a weird sconce on the wall to the right when you walk in that needs to go.
– Anna wants to put back up all her posters (!!!) and I know that I would like real art that we both like and a designated place (aka bulletin board) for posters of OneD and Taylor Swift.
– Anna likes things simple…she wears minimal floral prints and tends to prefer solids and stripes, so I’m thinking those and maybe chevron, greek key and like one floral pillow!
Here’s some inspiration (aka pretty pictures to get your mind off the train wreck above):
Soothing…I think we missed the soothing train (see pics above).
Can I pull off navy and white with this color? With a shot of pink?
Lots of white with fun trims.
I’ve got to put in some glitz and glam (aka brass and gold).
The Pink Pagoda did this room for her daughter during the last ORC. Picture this, but with blindingly bright walls!
So as you can see from our inspiration, we are all over the place. Any suggestions are welcome! So I will post some sort of update every Thursday for 6 weeks and we’ll see where Anna’s room and our relationship end up! No matter what the room looks like, I can be sure of one thing…with Anna as my partner it’s going to be a fun ride (but not soothing)!
Now I’ve got to go and get some inspiration from people that know what they are doing. Check them out HERE.
Thanks for stopping by! – kate